Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
Humbly Courageous
Hi, I’m Amy. I live life with a condition called Bethlem Myopathy which is a type of Muscular Dystrophy. I like to help others by showing how I live well with a debilitating condition. I was born with this disease, so it’s the only way I know life. I continue to work on embracing myself and using that to help others.

Followers

Cultivating Humble Courage

Hello and welcome back, or if you just found Humbly Courageous, welcome! I believe we all have humble courage that we have to tap into. Some may be new to it, or others may have been forced to practice using it their whole lives.

So, what do I even mean by humbly courageous, and how did I even start growing my humble courage to begin with? Like I have said before, humble courage, for me, was inevitable because I was born having to face an everyday battle. I learned very early on that I needed this quiet, unassuming courage to survive and thrive. Check out the link below to read more about the meaning behind Humbly Courageous. 

https://humblycourageous.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-meaning-behind-humbly-courageous.html?m=1

When you live in a world where everywhere you go, you stand out because of a physical disability, you have to find something to tap into, a place to go mentally where you can feel safe when everything around you feels scary and unwelcoming. If you don’t know me personally, or you haven’t seen videos of me walking, then this probably isn’t making much sense. There is no denying when I walk into a room or a store or wherever it may be, I’m disabled. That’s likely the first thing people are going to notice. My walk is more of an exaggerated sway from side to side. The way my muscle weakness works for me is that when I walk, I use my momentum to swing my right leg around because of  something called foot drop, and weak leg muscles. My right foot doesn’t lift up and down when I walk, it just flops. In order to keep from tripping I have to swing my leg out and around. Combined with my weak legs, it’s a small victory every successful step I take! Kind of hard to explain, but you get the picture. I stand out. People stare. Wherever I go. I can’t just inconspicuously walk into a room. I used to have this joke with my high school friends when we would talk about how we don’t remember so and so from school, I’d say, “well there is no forgetting who I am. I can’t blend in too well.”

Annual fall hike

I’m better than I used to be about being self-conscious about it. Now, for the most part, I think to myself …well I am who I am, they will stare and move on! 

Since I started my blog, one of my favorite things is when someone will message me or say to me in person, I had to be humbly courageous today. I love hearing that! Humble courage is something we practice and don’t even realize it. It’s that quiet confidence growing inside of us that sometimes we suddenly have to tap into to survive, or maybe like me, you’ve faced an everyday battle where you have to keep your humble courage readily available everyday. Humble courage isn’t boastful or arrogant, it’s a quiet, inner strength. It helps you keep your head held high when you feel like you are drowning. It helps you get to the end of a day when you feel like you can’t go on. It helps you smile through the pain. It simply, keeps you going. 


This past week, I had the opportunity to get away for a couple of days with my youngest son for our annual fall break trip. It’s not easy for us to get away together and actually get out and do things. There are a lot of factors that go into traveling with me to make sure things are accessible etc. This kid is a pro and doesn’t miss a beat. Together, we were humbly courageous, and had the best time. Each year, I challenge myself to a fall hike amongst the beautiful trees. Happy to say, I successfully made it through another small hike. This time on a paved trail, but I still consider it a huge success. Thankful for these days. 💚






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Muscular Dystrophy

A letter to Muscular Dystrophy on the eve of my 49th birthday. This has been a lifelong journey…. Dear Muscular Dystrophy, At times you dazzle me, showing me the heights of human love and kindness, and at other times you take me to the deepest, darkest parts of my soul. I have silently pleaded, please just let this end. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’d like to say that was a one-time thought, but you’ve made it impossible to tell that as a truth.  I want to love you because you are a part of me, but you make it so hard at times. You feel like a best friend when I achieve feats that seem impossible due to my physical weakness, but also you feel like my worst enemy living inside of my body when you fail me, and I’m once again lying on the floor. You robbed me of big chunks of childhood joy, while I sat in silent envy of my friends, as I watched them effortlessly turn cartwheels, run and jump.  You are stuck to me like glue during the countless hours in waiting rooms, operating rooms

A Hateful Encounter

Hello and welcome to Humbly Courageous which is a series of past and current life stories, as a woman who has lived her life with a disability. Sometimes, my posts are happy and upbeat and encouraging, and others like the one you are about to read, are an example of the social injustices I face regularly as a disabled woman. I like to keep thing’s positive and upbeat, but as you know life just isn’t always that way.  Sitting looks very different than when I walk  To the woman who treated me so cruelly just because she judged a book by it's cover.... I guess you'll never know how deeply your mean stare and unkindness towards me hurt my heart. I guess you didn't see me struggling to carry three small grocery bags to the car while walking with my cane. You couldn't have possibly known the thoughts going through my head as I was putting my cart away and getting ready to make the short trek to my car. The conversation going on in my head went something like this.....Am I goi

Deep Breath

Hello and welcome back, or if you are new here welcome!…..Deep breath this week, as we are diving into the emotional trauma of 47 years disabled… here we go with just a few examples. Sharing these are really hard for me, but I think it’s important to share because these things are not uncommon for those who are disabled. Some I’ve shared before, some I haven’t.  “Yeah, from the look of your profile picture you really look disabled 😂” There is SO much I could say to this. What does that mean? Am I supposed to look a certain way as a disabled woman? Please, enlighten me. I’m all ears.  Or how about the folks that left me on the floor of a bar/restaurant because they assumed I was drunk because I fell as I was exiting because the door swung the opposite of what I was expecting, so easily throwing me off balance. Had not had a drop to drink. Left me there, staring at me as if I was a zoo exhibit.  Even the manager came by and told me to move because I was letting all of the cold air escap