Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
Humbly Courageous
Hi, I’m Amy. I live life with a condition called Bethlem Myopathy which is a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. I like to help others by showing how I live well with a debilitating condition. I was born with this disease, so it’s the only way I know life. I continue to work on embracing myself and using that to help others.

Followers

100!! 🥂

Welcome to the 100th blog post for Humbly Courageous! Wow! A lot of heart went into these blog posts. There is very little I have left out and not shared. I mean a girl has to have a few secrets, right?! But seriously, when I started writing, being anything less than completely vulnerable didn’t feel honest, and I knew if I really wanted to reach people, I had to tell the good, the bad and the ugly. That’s what I set out to do, and now this week finds me writing my 100th blog post. To say I have been blessed by being vulnerable is an understatement. Sometimes, I look at these comments and feel like I’m dreaming. It’s what I always wanted. To feel that sense of connection, and like I am helping somebody in this world who feels alone like I once did. 


The 44 years of waiting, was it a waste of time or a lesson in living well? My faith tells me it was, of course, part of my life’s plan. Still, I sometimes wrestle with the thought of all the wasted time when I was angry, and I didn’t appreciate the goodness in my life enough. I was bitter because I was disabled and didn’t have a diagnosis. Constantly swimming upstream. I lived life against myself, doing my best to avoid my reality. Or what even was my reality? I didn’t even know. I could look at it as so much wasted time. At times, I feel like I’m desperately trying to make up for all those years. There’s not enough hours in a day. The truth is I can’t go back. I have to accept that as a lesson, and it’s what got me where I am today, along with a lot of hard work. Without it, I never could have experienced what I’m going to share with you today. These are the words of people I’ve never met face to face. I hope to, but I haven’t yet. Their words help me as much as they say my blog posts help them. This is what they have had to say to me….








I wish I could share all of the amazing feedback I have gotten. It has truly changed my life in the best way possible to know, that I, one small voice, have made a difference in someone’s life. Putting yourself out there for all to judge takes humble courage. You don’t ever know if you will be met with resistance or compassion. If you want to share your story to impact someone’s life, then you have to go forward and not worry about the resistance, but focus on the ONE person who’s life you can make a difference in. That’s what Humbly Courageous is all about. Here’s to the next 100 posts! So grateful to have you on this journey with me. THANK YOU! 💚

P.S. This past Tuesday I celebrated the 4th birthday of my diagnosis day. It’s truly a celebration, and a great day of reflection for me. I’m just so grateful to have this day to celebrate! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Muscular Dystrophy

A letter to Muscular Dystrophy on the eve of my 49th birthday. This has been a lifelong journey…. Dear Muscular Dystrophy, At times you dazzle me, showing me the heights of human love and kindness, and at other times you take me to the deepest, darkest parts of my soul. I have silently pleaded, please just let this end. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’d like to say that was a one-time thought, but you’ve made it impossible to tell that as a truth.  I want to love you because you are a part of me, but you make it so hard at times. You feel like a best friend when I achieve feats that seem impossible due to my physical weakness, but also you feel like my worst enemy living inside of my body when you fail me, and I’m once again lying on the floor. You robbed me of big chunks of childhood joy, while I sat in silent envy of my friends, as I watched them effortlessly turn cartwheels, run and jump.  You are stuck to me like glue during the countless hours in waiting rooms, operating rooms

A Hateful Encounter

Hello and welcome to Humbly Courageous which is a series of past and current life stories, as a woman who has lived her life with a disability. Sometimes, my posts are happy and upbeat and encouraging, and others like the one you are about to read, are an example of the social injustices I face regularly as a disabled woman. I like to keep thing’s positive and upbeat, but as you know life just isn’t always that way.  Sitting looks very different than when I walk  To the woman who treated me so cruelly just because she judged a book by it's cover.... I guess you'll never know how deeply your mean stare and unkindness towards me hurt my heart. I guess you didn't see me struggling to carry three small grocery bags to the car while walking with my cane. You couldn't have possibly known the thoughts going through my head as I was putting my cart away and getting ready to make the short trek to my car. The conversation going on in my head went something like this.....Am I goi

Deep Breath

Hello and welcome back, or if you are new here welcome!…..Deep breath this week, as we are diving into the emotional trauma of 47 years disabled… here we go with just a few examples. Sharing these are really hard for me, but I think it’s important to share because these things are not uncommon for those who are disabled. Some I’ve shared before, some I haven’t.  “Yeah, from the look of your profile picture you really look disabled 😂” There is SO much I could say to this. What does that mean? Am I supposed to look a certain way as a disabled woman? Please, enlighten me. I’m all ears.  Or how about the folks that left me on the floor of a bar/restaurant because they assumed I was drunk because I fell as I was exiting because the door swung the opposite of what I was expecting, so easily throwing me off balance. Had not had a drop to drink. Left me there, staring at me as if I was a zoo exhibit.  Even the manager came by and told me to move because I was letting all of the cold air escap