Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
Humbly Courageous
Hi, I’m Amy. I live life with a condition called Bethlem Myopathy which is a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. I like to help others by showing how I live well with a debilitating condition. I was born with this disease, so it’s the only way I know life. I continue to work on embracing myself and using that to help others.

Followers

On The Road

Hello, welcome to another week at Humbly Courageous! Guess what? This is my 99th blog post! I wonder if there are any readers who have read all 99? If you have, thank you! I’m excited to share my 100th blog post next week, which also happens to be within the same week that I will celebrate the 4th birthday of my diagnosis day! It’s a day that I love to celebrate now each year. The day, I was finally, formally introduced to my whole self when I was 44.


Hey, there’s me!

Last week I was invited to speak at the Muscular Dystrophy Association’s Chicago Toast to Life Gala. I was honored to be asked, and I’m not sure I’ve ever been to a gala before. For sure I have never kicked one off with a speech. It’s definitely fun to get dressed up and go and see all of the fancy people. It’s been awhile since I’ve been able to get fancy. 😊 


Each time I speak, even though I’m sharing my story, I like to write a new speech. Over time, as I share my story, I think of other things I want to add, or maybe reword things in a way that makes more sense, or gives more meaning. This speech was only about 6 minutes long, so not too long. It took me a bit to write it, edit it, and then practice it many times to make sure I could feel confident while giving it.

 Turns out, I really like doing this kind of thing. The girl shaking in front her high school speech class and sweating profusely when having to give a speech would never have believed this would be something she actually enjoyed! It’s not been that long ago that I couldn’t talk about my story of growing up disabled, without crying and sadness. Now I speak confidently about something that I know better than anyone. It was all about accepting myself as I am. That was the difference. Seeing the good in who I am, not just the disability without the goodness attached to it. 

 


Speaking and connecting with others at this event, who also live with Muscular Dystrophy, continued to ignite a passion in me that I didn’t even know existed until just a few years ago. I’m so honored to be MDA’s National Ambassador, as I know there are many worthy of this position. I cherish the times I have the opportunity to speak and share my story. 








I met a young lady named Summer and her amazing family. It does something within you when you get to see someone in person who is similar in walking and moving as you are. It’s rare that I get to experience that. It kind of takes my breath away to see, in real life, that I am truly not alone. I had to fight back many tears throughout the  evening thinking about how this has been my dream for so long, starting when I was just a tiny little girl. I prayed for this for years. It has come true, and I am so very grateful. Public speaking no doubt takes humble courage, and I am here for every minute of it! 💚



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Muscular Dystrophy

A letter to Muscular Dystrophy on the eve of my 49th birthday. This has been a lifelong journey…. Dear Muscular Dystrophy, At times you dazzle me, showing me the heights of human love and kindness, and at other times you take me to the deepest, darkest parts of my soul. I have silently pleaded, please just let this end. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’d like to say that was a one-time thought, but you’ve made it impossible to tell that as a truth.  I want to love you because you are a part of me, but you make it so hard at times. You feel like a best friend when I achieve feats that seem impossible due to my physical weakness, but also you feel like my worst enemy living inside of my body when you fail me, and I’m once again lying on the floor. You robbed me of big chunks of childhood joy, while I sat in silent envy of my friends, as I watched them effortlessly turn cartwheels, run and jump.  You are stuck to me like glue during the countless hours in waiting rooms, operating rooms

A Hateful Encounter

Hello and welcome to Humbly Courageous which is a series of past and current life stories, as a woman who has lived her life with a disability. Sometimes, my posts are happy and upbeat and encouraging, and others like the one you are about to read, are an example of the social injustices I face regularly as a disabled woman. I like to keep thing’s positive and upbeat, but as you know life just isn’t always that way.  Sitting looks very different than when I walk  To the woman who treated me so cruelly just because she judged a book by it's cover.... I guess you'll never know how deeply your mean stare and unkindness towards me hurt my heart. I guess you didn't see me struggling to carry three small grocery bags to the car while walking with my cane. You couldn't have possibly known the thoughts going through my head as I was putting my cart away and getting ready to make the short trek to my car. The conversation going on in my head went something like this.....Am I goi

Deep Breath

Hello and welcome back, or if you are new here welcome!…..Deep breath this week, as we are diving into the emotional trauma of 47 years disabled… here we go with just a few examples. Sharing these are really hard for me, but I think it’s important to share because these things are not uncommon for those who are disabled. Some I’ve shared before, some I haven’t.  “Yeah, from the look of your profile picture you really look disabled 😂” There is SO much I could say to this. What does that mean? Am I supposed to look a certain way as a disabled woman? Please, enlighten me. I’m all ears.  Or how about the folks that left me on the floor of a bar/restaurant because they assumed I was drunk because I fell as I was exiting because the door swung the opposite of what I was expecting, so easily throwing me off balance. Had not had a drop to drink. Left me there, staring at me as if I was a zoo exhibit.  Even the manager came by and told me to move because I was letting all of the cold air escap