Skip to main content

About Me

My photo
Humbly Courageous
Hi, I’m Amy. I live life with a condition called Bethlem Myopathy which is a rare form of Muscular Dystrophy. I like to help others by showing how I live well with a debilitating condition. I was born with this disease, so it’s the only way I know life. I continue to work on embracing myself and using that to help others.

Followers

Moments Like This

Hello and welcome back to another week! If you are new here, I hope you learn something new or feel a sense of camaraderie in this space. That’s what it’s all about!

Last week I found myself riding around the streets of Washington, D.C. and speaking in different lawmaker’s offices regarding airline accessibility. It felt surreal to be sitting in their offices using my voice for change. It was definitely a pinch me moment! I was so honored to be there among many other amazing, seasoned advocates. We were all there to raise our voices for one thing. Change in airline accessibility. I learned so much on this trip. I had done one other Hill Day, but it was virtual. While I enjoyed that experience, there is nothing like being in person talking to another human face to face about this ultra urgent matter. People with disabilities need major change in the airline industry. As it stands, the accommodations for those with disabilities are pathetic. People are often injured, wheelchairs and assistive devices are frequently damaged or returned in nonworking order, and all with very little accountability for the airlines, as things currently stand. 


Thankful to have my husband by my side 

Before I go any further I want to rewind this story a bit. I knew when I was planning to go that I would finally get to meet MDA’s other National Ambassador and her family. We had spoken several times online and even did a video chat, so I already knew I was fond of them. What I wasn’t prepared for was the love we would all have for each other. Seriously, it was just a life changing moment for us connecting like that. In case you missed it, you can read all about Leah in an interview I did with her a couple of  months ago. She’s just a fantastic human and her parents are too. 


MDA’s Current National Ambassadors aka Dynamic Duo!

Leah’s Dad Also Lives with MD, he’s awesome!

Leah’s Mom 💚💚💚

Along with that glorious meeting, I was surprised to see some others I had admired from afar for a long time! Getting to meet them in person was incredibly moving for me. They are just rockstar humans, and being in their presence was so amazing! It’s like all my dreams were coming true in this one room, as we met for dinner the night before the big day on the hill. 

Starstruck meeting this incredible lady! 


National Ambassadors and Former National Ambassador!

Kindred Spirits 

We ended the evening sitting around and just talking about what we were there fighting. Stories were told about horrific experiences had when traveling by air. If you aren’t aware, wheelchairs have to be left at the gate and stowed below. So, for those who aren’t able to walk, that means a transfer into an aisle wheelchair, being transferred by people who aren’t familiar with specific needs of the individual being transferred. Many injuries happen during these transfers in and out of aisle wheelchairs. Individuals are forced to get out of their wheelchairs, which are often custom fit to their bodies and incredibly expensive. They are forced to sit in the airplane seats, and often have to bring lots of things to help prop them up and/or extra straps to help them sit. Once on the plane they have no way of accessing a restroom. Often, after arriving at their destination, they find their custom chair has been damaged because it’s been stowed below, amidst all of the luggage and not protected in the cargo area. Many times, their chairs are not usable upon return. So, essentially their legs are taken from them. It’s absolutely horrific and quite frankly, inhumane. And it happens all of the time. There is certainly no shortage of personal stories to illustrate this well past due need for a major overhaul in accessible airline travel. 

For me, I drive my scooter to the entrance of the plane and from there I am able to use my cane to get to my seat. Once in my seat, I am not able to stand up without assistance because the seat is low and there isn’t enough room to lean forward to stand, which is what I need to be able to stand. Walking to the bathroom is difficult because it’s very unsteady, and I lose my balance very easily. Once in the restroom it’s hard to stand up. I try to avoid using it if I can. In the past, I have had to use an aisle wheelchair after flying following medical procedures. It’s tiny and uncomfortable to say the least. It’s also humiliating to be honest. 

Their was no shortage of passion for the fight in our group of advocates on this trip. It’s hard to describe that feeling of coming together like that, and humbly courageously going into different lawmaker’s offices, and telling our personal stories. It’s a little intimidating for sure! Luckily, all of the lawmaker’s assistants that I met with were kind and compassionate. It felt like they were hearing what we had to say, but they also were honest about what an uphill and long battle this is going to be. It certainly won’t be a quick change, as it involves a lot of different issues. We have to keep trying though. We have to fight for this change. We won’t stop until airplanes are fully accessible, allowing ALL the opportunity to travel humanely. 💚

Some of our awesome group of MDA Advocates 

To learn more about this issue and how you can help please visit:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Muscular Dystrophy

A letter to Muscular Dystrophy on the eve of my 49th birthday. This has been a lifelong journey…. Dear Muscular Dystrophy, At times you dazzle me, showing me the heights of human love and kindness, and at other times you take me to the deepest, darkest parts of my soul. I have silently pleaded, please just let this end. I don’t want to do this anymore. I’d like to say that was a one-time thought, but you’ve made it impossible to tell that as a truth.  I want to love you because you are a part of me, but you make it so hard at times. You feel like a best friend when I achieve feats that seem impossible due to my physical weakness, but also you feel like my worst enemy living inside of my body when you fail me, and I’m once again lying on the floor. You robbed me of big chunks of childhood joy, while I sat in silent envy of my friends, as I watched them effortlessly turn cartwheels, run and jump.  You are stuck to me like glue during the countless hours in waiting rooms, operating rooms

A Hateful Encounter

Hello and welcome to Humbly Courageous which is a series of past and current life stories, as a woman who has lived her life with a disability. Sometimes, my posts are happy and upbeat and encouraging, and others like the one you are about to read, are an example of the social injustices I face regularly as a disabled woman. I like to keep thing’s positive and upbeat, but as you know life just isn’t always that way.  Sitting looks very different than when I walk  To the woman who treated me so cruelly just because she judged a book by it's cover.... I guess you'll never know how deeply your mean stare and unkindness towards me hurt my heart. I guess you didn't see me struggling to carry three small grocery bags to the car while walking with my cane. You couldn't have possibly known the thoughts going through my head as I was putting my cart away and getting ready to make the short trek to my car. The conversation going on in my head went something like this.....Am I goi

Deep Breath

Hello and welcome back, or if you are new here welcome!…..Deep breath this week, as we are diving into the emotional trauma of 47 years disabled… here we go with just a few examples. Sharing these are really hard for me, but I think it’s important to share because these things are not uncommon for those who are disabled. Some I’ve shared before, some I haven’t.  “Yeah, from the look of your profile picture you really look disabled 😂” There is SO much I could say to this. What does that mean? Am I supposed to look a certain way as a disabled woman? Please, enlighten me. I’m all ears.  Or how about the folks that left me on the floor of a bar/restaurant because they assumed I was drunk because I fell as I was exiting because the door swung the opposite of what I was expecting, so easily throwing me off balance. Had not had a drop to drink. Left me there, staring at me as if I was a zoo exhibit.  Even the manager came by and told me to move because I was letting all of the cold air escap